JWST Observer Events at the 235th Meeting of the AAS
The 235th meeting of the American Astronomical Society (AAS) takes place a few weeks before the release of the JWST Cycle 1 Call for Proposals on January 23. The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) will host a variety of events at AAS 235 to prepare the astronomical community for science with JWST, with a focus on proposal planning.
JWST Proposal Preparation Workshop
Friday, January 3, 2020 (8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)
Prior to the official start of the meeting, we will offer a JWST Proposal Preparation Workshop, focused on the basic use of the Exposure Time Calculator (ETC) and the Astronomer’s Proposal Tool (APT). The registration fee of $30 includes lunch. We will have:
- Guided demonstrations
- Hands-on sessions
- Exercises to plan observations for selected science cases and observing modes
JWST Town Hall
Sunday, January 5, 2020 (6:30 to 8:00 p.m.)
6:30 p.m. (refreshments, provided courtesy of Northrop Grumman)
7:00 p.m. (presentations begin)
The timing of this AAS meeting provides an excellent opportunity for us to update the community on the Cycle 1 science landscape and the progress toward launch of the observatory. This town hall will provide:
- Presentations by representatives from the JWST Project on JWST’s status, including updates on testing activities, and JWST’s path toward launch.
- The latest information regarding JWST proposal planning, observer’s documentation, and the science timeline for JWST Cycle 1.
JWST Open House Sessions
Sunday, January 5; Monday, January 6; and Tuesday, January 7, 2020 (9:30 to 11:30 a.m.)
For more in-depth discussion and to help users begin planning and writing proposals, we will host three topical open house sessions. You can drop in at your convenience and participate in hands-on activities and demonstrations during any or all of these sessions. These sessions supplement the more general full-day JWST workshop that is scheduled for January 3. However, attendance at the workshop is not a prerequisite for participation in the open house. There is no registration fee for these sessions.
- JWST Proposing Open House Session 1: Integral Field Unit Observing (Sunday, January 5)
- JWST Proposing Open House Session 2: Grism Observing (Monday, January 6)
- JWST Proposing Open House Session 3: NIRSpec Micro-Shutter Array (Tuesday, January 7)
JWST at the STScI Exhibitor Booth
January 4-7, during regular booth hours
We will also have many resources at our Exhibitor booth to step you through planning observations with JWST, including:
- The new JWST Pocket Guide
- Astronomer's Proposal Tool demos
- Exposure Time Calculator demos
- The JWST Virtual Reality experience
For additional information, please refer to the JWST at the 235th AAS Meeting event page.