Sydney Meeting Follow-up Notes
Summary of notes from the informal session on proposed
or planned follow-up observations of the HDF-S, held during the
December 1997 Sydney workshop.
These notes summarize an informal HDF-S session at the Joint
ESO/Australia workshop ``Looking Deep in the Southern Sky,'' which was
held in Sydney, Australia, on 10-12 December 1997. Many groups who
are planning or already executing HDF-S followup observations were
present at this meeting and discussed their plans. The information
compiled here is based on notes taken by Brian Boyle during the
session, with the addition of further information gathered later.
These notes should be used merely as an indication of some observing
programs which are being considered or which are already scheduled.
They should not be considered definitive or binding in any way - plans
may have changed since these notes were taken, and there may be
transcription errors or misinterpretations of comments made at the
We expect that many of the observers will establish their own web
pages describing their programs, and the STScI HDF-S group will
provide links to this information via the HDF-S Clearinghouse web page. If you are
interested in establishing such links, please contact Mark Dickinson, Harry Ferguson, or Massimo Stiavelli.
- AAT: 1 night imaging in broad and narrow (20 Angstrom) bands on
HDF-S + environs using the Taurus tunable filter. Scheduled for
- NTT: HDF-S + surrounding region to be imaged under the auspices
of the ESO Imaging Survey (EIS). 15 x 15 arcminute field of view
imaged in U, g, r, I, J and K. 13 nights allocated for Sept/Oct 1998?
- AAT: 2 nights UCLES echelle spectroscopy (R=50000) of HDF-S QSO,
primarily covering the Lyman alpha forest region. Scheduled for July 1998.
- AAT: 4 nights LDSS++ multislit spectroscopy (Glazebrook et al.) of
galaxies in the HDF-S and surrounding region. 300+ redshifts expected
for galaxies with R < 24 in a 9 x 3 arcminute field of view.
Scheduled for July 1998.
- NTT: 4 nights (?) multislit spectroscopy (Dennefeld et al.)
of galaxies in the HDF-S and surrounding region. September 1998?
- ATNF: Some observations already obtained (January 1998).
More planned for the future, ultimately aiming to achieve
a sensitivity of 3 microJy/beam (rms) at 3, 6, 13 and 20 cm.
- ISO: HDF-S (WFPC2 field of view) already imaged with ISO (late 1997)
at 7 and 15 microns.
- AXAF: Ultradeep AXAF survey of HDF-S region (Giacconi et al.).
500 ksec with ACIS-I, approx. 17 x 17 arcminutes, possibly Spring 1999.
- VLT: FORS/ISAAC observations possible during science verification
and testing phase of these instruments on VLT UT1.
Send us your feedback or questions.
Visit the Hubble Deep Field South main
Visit the Space Telescope Science Institute home page.
This page was last updated on November 23, 1998.