(The Exposure Time Calculators use a dedicated installation of these files, which is updated on the ETC release schedule and may not be the same as the files listed here.)
There are five basic types of files (FITS tables) we use with the STSDAS software package Synphot and its successor (currently in development),pysynphot.
- component throughput tables (usually "_syn"): each such table gives the transmission curve for an individual element or "component" in the optical path of HST+SI. For the most up-to-date files in use by pysynphot please check here .
- thermal emissivity files:("_th.fits") each table lists the thermal emission curves for WFC3 and NICMOS.
- Master tables (For the most up-to-date
files in use by pysynphot please check here ):
- - master component lookup table ("_tmc"): contains the full directory path and name of each component throughput table to be used.
- - observatory configuration or "master graph" table ("_tmg"): gives the relationship of the components to one another as encountered by a light ray tracing each of the many distinct paths from the HST Primary Mirror to the SI detector.
- - thermal component lookup table ("_tmt"): contains the full directory path and name of each component thermal element to be used. Only WFC3 and NICMOS have thermal tables ("_th.fits")
These five types of synphot tables are used by the software to estimate the total throughput of any given observing mode or configuration. New synphot files or updates are also delivered to OPUS via the same basic CDBS reference file delivery process with some specific changes that are described in the TIR.
The tmc, tmg, and tmt tables are also kept in their own directory, called "mtab". They are uniquely named using the uniqname schema, with rootnames endings as described above.
Access the mtab FTP directory containing the synphot master tables (tmc, tmg, & tmt).
NOTE: There is a known bug with trying to access the files via ftp server with the Safari browser. The recommended browser for retrieving the files is Firefox.
If you are using Synphot or Pysynphot you might want to download the latest version of the data it uses in its calcualtions. Since the set of Synphot data files is rather large, they are distributed in separate tar files.
- synphot1.tar.gz (71Mb) - This contains the HST component throughput files and graph and component lookup tables (use gunzip to uncompress)
- synphot2.tar.gz (35Mb) - This contains some of the stellar and galactic model files.
(agn, bc95, bkmodels, bpgs, bz77, extinction, galactic, jacobi, kc96, Pickles).
- synphot3.tar.gz (18Mb) - This contains the Castelli and Kurucz 2004 Atlas.
- synphot4.tar.gz (40Mb) - This contains the Kurucz 1993 Atlas.
- synphot5.tar.gz (506Mb) - This contains the Phoenix Models.
- synphot6.tar.gz (35Mb) - This contains the HST Calibration Spectra.
Access FTP directories of the individual component throughput tables (current SIs):
Access the FTP directories of the individual component throughput tables for the previous generation SIs: