The optical design of WFC3 features two independent channels, one sensitive at ultraviolet (UV) and optical wavelengths, approximately 200 to 1000 nm (the UVIS channel), and the other sensitive at near infrared (IR) wavelengths, approximately 850 to 1700 nm (the IR channel).
- UVIS channel: 0.04 arcsec/pix; 2.7x2.7 arcmin FOV; 200-1000 nm; S/N=10 for 10 hr exposure of a point source with V=28.9 (F606W).
- IR channel: 0.13 arcsec/pix; 2.1x2.3 arcmin FOV; 850-1700 nm; S/N=10 for 10 hr exposure of a point source with H=28.0 (F160W). IR focal plane contains reference pixels for accurate bias subtraction.
- 62 broad-, medium-, and narrow-band filters in the UVIS channel.
- 1 grism in UVIS channel, for slitless spectroscopy.
- 15 broad-, medium-, and narrow-band filters in the IR channel.
- 2 grisms in the IR channel, for slitless spectroscopy.
Upon installation of WFC3, the focal plane of HST will appear as shown below, with WFC3 positioned in the center of the focal plane.
More information on the design and abilities of WFC3 can be found in the WFC3 Handbook.
Images and diagrams of WFC3 construction can be found in the WFC3 Image Gallery.