This page gives a high-level overview of WFC3's characteristics. Click on a given plot or figure to enlarge. For more detailed descriptions of WFC3's components and behaviors, see the WFC3 Handbook. Another good source of high level information is the WFC3 Summary brochure.
Observations with WFC3 can make use of the UVIS or IR Channels. A channel select mechanism directs incoming light to the desired channel. The light path within WFC3 for both channels. The IR light path is drawn in red, and the UVIS light path is drawn in pink.
WFC3 detectors are capable of observing at all wavelengths between 200 - 1700nm. The QE curves for the UVIS and IR detectors are shown below. These curves do not include the effects of HST's OTA, nor WFC3's optics and filters.
See the Detectors page for more information.
- Components: Teledyne 1Kx1K HgCdTe detector. MBE-grown, substrate removed.
- Total Field of View: 123 x 136 arcsec
- Pixel Size: 0.13 arcsec
- Nominal Operating Temperature: 145 K
- Dark Current: 0.048 e-/sec/pix (median) [Revised 1-25-2012. See WFC3 IHB, Table 5.1]
- Dark Current Tail (% of pixels with Dark Current >0.4 e-/sec/pix): 0.7%
- Readnoise: 21 e- (CDS), 12 e- (16-read linear fit) [Revised 1-25-2012. See WFC3 IHB, Table 5.1]
- Full Well: 77,900 e- [Revised 1-25-2012. See WFC3 IHB, Table 5.1]
- Components: 2 e2V thinned, backside illuminated, UV optimized 2Kx4K CCDs
- Total Field of View: 162 x 162 arcsec
- Pixel Size: 0.04 arcsec
- Nominal Operating Temperature: -83C
- Dark Current: 3 e-/hr/pix (median) [Revised 1-25-2012. See WFC3 IHB, Table 5.1]
- Readnoise: 3.1 e-
- Full Well: 63,000 -- 72,000 e- [Revised 1-25-2012. See WFC3 IHB, Table 5.1]
WFC3's complement of filters cover the entire useful wavelength range dictated by the detectors. Individual plots of filter throughputs are available in the WFC3 Handbook. More information about WFC3 filters can be found on the WFC3 filter page.
The plots below show the total system throughput for all of WFC3's filters.