Astropy Project Coordination Meeting
Meeting October 9-10, 2012 Sprints October 11, 2012
This meeting is intended to coordinate development and advocacy efforts for the Astropy Project. The Astropy Project is a process intended to facilitate communication and interoperability of python packages/codes in astronomy and astrophysics.
The agenda will include:
- The current state of the Astropy core package:
- Overview of current subpackages
- What subpackages need to be improved?
- What new subpackages need to be made?
- How should we phase out stand-alone versions?
- Advocacy and communication to the community
- Highest priorities for additions to astropy
- Who will be the advocate/coordinator for each?
- What existing packages should we target for making affiliated packages?
- What offer will they not be able to refuse?
- Improving interoperability of affiliated packages
- E.g., supporting standard data objects (ND-datasets, spectra...) and metadata conventions
We plan to keep the agenda flexible with some combination of combined discussion sessions and breakout/sprinting sessions as seems appropriate. Details will be developed later and announced to the astropy mailing list.
A limited number of rooms at a special rate are being held for the Colonnade Hotel until September 1st, which is within walking distance of STScI.