Accademia dei Lincei
Via della Lungara 10
The conference will be held in the Auditorium of the prestigious "Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei", the oldest academy worldwide, founded by Federico Cesi in 1603. The Academy's mission is to promote, coordinate and disseminate scientific knowledge in the framework of cultural unity and universality. The Auditorium is located across the street from the Accademia’s Headquarters, Palazzo Corsini.
On the grounds of the Accademia dei Lincei, surrounded by beautiful gardens, there is Villa Farnesina, built in 1512 by Agostino Chigi, adorned by frescos painted by Raffaello Sanzio, and other famous Italian Renaissance painters. A tour of the Villa will be organized during the conference days, and the gardens will be open to conference participants.
For additional information and photos see the following URLs:
How to get to Accademia dei Lincei
If you arrive by train:
Most trains arrive at Termini, Rome's main station.
To reach the conference venue from Termini you can:
- take a taxi. Taxis in Rome are reliable and not very expensive. You will easily find a taxi outside the train station.
- If you prefer public transportation, you can take bus H and exit at Ministero dell'Istruzione (7 stops), then take bus 125 until stop Lungara - Orto Botanico (5 stops), that is behind Palazzo Corsini.
- Alternatively, you can get the metro line A (direction Battistini). Exit at Lepanto and take bus 280. Exit at Lungotevere della Farnesina, in front of number 10. With the river to your right, take the first left turn (Salita del Buon Pastore); at the end of the road turn left and you will find yourself on Via della Lungara, where Palazzo Corsini is located.
- If you like to walk, you can take bus 40 to Largo Torre Argentina, and then tram 8, exiting at Piazza Belli. Then you will walk along Lungotevere Raffaello Sanzio (the river will be on your right). After about 350 meters, turn left onto Piazza Trilussa and continue on Via Benedetta. Go straight on Via Santa Dorotea and turn right in Via della Scala, then continue on Via della Lungara, where Palazzo Corsini is located.
If you arrive by plane:
The closest airport to the conference venue is Rome’s main airport, Leonardo da Vinci (FCO). To reach the venue from FCO airport:
You can take a taxi: this is the easiest way. It should cost ~ 40 ¤. Please make sure that you take an official taxi - they are white and clearly marked.
You can take a train: go to the FCO train station and then take either the direct train to Termini (hourly frequency, cost 15 ¤), or take a local train for Roma Tiburtina, Orte or Fara Sabina (every 20 minutes, except on Saturdays and Sunday, cost 8 ¤).
In the former case, follow the directions from Termini.
In the latter case: exit at Roma Trastevere (all the trains stop there, whatever their final destination). Take tram 8 or bus H or 780 (direction Piazza Sonnino). Exit at Piazza Belli, walk along the river in the direction of St. Peter's (with the river on your right) until you reach Piazza Trilussa. Walk along Via P. Sisto and via S. Dorotea, turn right, go through the arch and you will be on Via della Lungara, where Palazzo Corsini is located.
For info about public transportation tickets see the local transportation information.
There are many hotels in the area surrounding the Accademia, and the list provided here presents just a small selection of possibilities.
We are in the process of negotiating conference rates with at least a couple of hotels nearby, and we will provide details when we open the registration on December 1st.
Visualizza Suggested Hotels/Restaurants for HST Congress in una mappa di dimensioni maggiori
Over 150 euro (for a double room)
Donna Camilla Savelli is closest one to the conference venue (~ 5 min walk).
Between 100 and 150 (for a double room)
<100 euro (for a double room)
Local transportation information
If you plan on using public transportation, we suggest you buy the following tickets:
- BIT Standard ticket: 1.50 ¤, 100 min duration (1 metro journey included, unrestricted number of bus journeys)
- BIG Daily Ticket: 6.00 ¤, 24 h duration, unrestricted number of journeys on metro and bus
- BTI Tourist Ticket: 16.50 ¤, 3 days duration, unrestricted number of journeys
- CIS Weekly Ticket: 24.00 ¤, 7 days duration, unrestricted number of journeys
They are valid for any public transport within Rome (but NOT from and to the FCO airport):
- on buses, trams, trolleybuses and Cotral coaches
- on the metro lines A and
- on Met.Ro regional trains: Rome-Lido, Rome-Viterbo, Rome-Pantano
- on Trenitalia regional trains (travelling second class)
You can buy them at any metro station, either at the ticket office, when present, or at automatic machines, or at the authorized shops displaying the ATAC sign. You cannot buy them on the bus or on the tram.
You must validate the ticket at the beginning of your journey and you must keep it with you until it expires.