How to install Jabber on your home computer, tablet, or phone.
For Mac OS X, Windows (XP through version 8) and IOS.
(Jabber is not currently available on Windows Phone, Blackberry, or Linux.)
Here are the STScI specific settings that are needed when installing
Under the Advanced settings tab, you will need to enter the following:
- Under account type, select "Cisco IM & Presence"
- Under Login server, select "Use the following server", and enter jabpres1.stsci.edu
- Click "save" when finished
Using Jabber on your Personal Mac
Jabber is now available for the Mac System and can be installed on your personal devices. This will give you the full range of collaboration tools including instant messaging (IM), voice, voice messaging and video calling, all without having to connect through VPN.
Download the client here and do the following:
- Download the st-JabberExternal.pkg file.
Right-click on the st-JabberExternal.pkg file in your Downloads folder and select "Open"
A pop-up warning stating "CiscoJabberMac.pkg can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer" may be displayed. This is OK because ITSD updated the package for our configuration. If this appears, you can still open it by:
- Open System preferences
- Click on Security
- Click on General
- Select Open Anyway option
- Follow the installer instructions and enter your Mac password when prompted.
- Double-click on Cisco Jabber.app in your Applications folder to launch Jabber.
- Click Agree, then enter your STScI username and password to use Jabber.
Note: You may periodically get a popup from the STScI SSO portal asking to login. This is normal. You may also want to drag the Jabber app onto the doc for easy use
Jabber is already installed on your STScI Macintosh system.
Using Jabber on your Personal Windows computer
Jabber is now available for the Windows System and can be installed on your personal devices. This will give you the full range of collaboration tools including instant messaging (IM), voice, voice messaging and video calling, all without having to connect through VPN.
Jabber is already installed on your STScI Windows System.
Using Jabber on iOS Devices
Jabber is now available for the iPad and iPhone and can be installed on your personal devices. This will give you the full range of collaboration tools including instant messaging (IM), voice, voice messaging and video calling, all without having to connect through VPN.
- On your iPhone or iPad, connect to the App Store
- Search for Cisco Jabber. Select Cisco Jabber for iPhone and iPad ( not Cisco Jabber Voice )
- Download and install the Cisco Jabber App
Using Jabber on Android Devices
Jabber is now available for Android phones and can be installed on your personal devices. This will give you the full range of collaboration tools including instant messaging (IM), voice, voice messaging and video calling, all without having to connect through VPN. The Cisco Jabber application can be downloaded from the Android Play Store
(Note: Be aware that there is a wide spectrum of Android versions, all which behave slightly different )
- On your Android phone, connect to the Play Store by touching the "Play Store" icon on your phone or tablet's desktop
- Search for "Cisco Jabber". Select the Jabber App from Cisco Systems, Inc
- Touch Install then Accept
- After installation completes, open Cisco Jabber and accept the end user agreement
Before logging in go to the Advanced settings
For Account Type select "CUCM IM and Presence"
For Server Information enter jabpres1.stsci.edu
- If a screen states "Certificate not valid" then touch "Continue"
Configure Jabber for WebEx
You will need to enter your STScI Email address and Active Directory (AD) user name when prompted by the Single Sign On (SS0) login page
Frequently Asked Questions
Mac OS X
STScI does not have the text to speech function in voicemail. This is an optional feature in Jabber that is mentioned in some of the training video and help files.
Connect Jabber with your Exchange calendar - Jabber will automatically show your presence as "In a meeting" for those times on your STScI Exchange calendar when you are in a meeting. Note that the subject, location or any details of the meeting are not revealed. The Outlook application must be running for "in a meeting" presence to work.
To enable this feature, log into the Presence User Options web page with your AD username and password. In the upper left corner of the page, select User Options, then Preferences. On the Preferences page, near the bottom, under the heading Calendar Settings, change the Include Calendar Information in my Presence Status box from Off to On. Be sure to save the change, then logout.
- Why can't I see a contact that I just added?
- That person is not on line at the moment. Change your viewing preferences to "Show offline contacts". On Macintosh, you will need to quit Jabber, then restart to see newly added contacts.
- How can I clear my chat history?
To remove your chat history for all contacts and conversations:
Exit Cisco Jabber
Move the file "email@example.com" from the location below to your desktop. Windows 7 - c:\Users\userid\AppData\Local\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSD\History Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\userid\Local Settings\Application Data\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\History be sure to substitute your user id for "userid" above
Restart Cisco Jabber
If everything is working OK, you can delete the firstname.lastname@example.org file.
Note this deletes all chats with all contacts. At this time you can't delete chats for individual contacts. Cisco plans to add this capability in a future release.
- What are the setting I need to use for Jabber if I do a manual install?
Under the “Advanced settings” (under the “Sign IN” button) you would:
- Select “Cisco IM & Presence” under account type
- Select “Use the following server” under Login server and enter jabpres1.stsci.edu
- Click "save"
- May I use the file transfer in Jabber to transfer ITAR files?
- What are the application requirements for the iPhone and iPad?
- iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5c, 6 and 6 plus
- iPad 2, iPad with Retina display (3rd and 4th generation), iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad mini with retina display
- iPod touch 5th generation
NOTE: Video calls not supported on the iPhone 4
- iOS 7.2 and later (public releases)