An important component of the Flexible Workplace Initiative is teleworking which enables us to optimize our space usage. Some of you may already be teleworking. However, enrolling in the Flexible Workplace Initiative allows us to track progress in the Initiative and assist you with your technology needs and other related needs you may have.
Your participation will be most successful if you set clear expectations with your manager and follow expectations for the FWI. The expectations listed here are drawn from the recommendations of the FWI Focus Groups.
Here is a list of common expectations for teleworking you should consider discussing with your manager. Your should review and document these with your manager and add any others which you or your manager think are important.
- How will your manager assess your work when you are teleworking?
- How will you and your manager assess the success of your participation in the Flexible Workplace Initiative?
- What is the start date of your participation?
- What is your teleworking schedule?
- What hours core hours are you expected to always be available?
- How will team mates know when your schedule deviates from the norm?
- What is your agreed upon preferred means of communication?
- What is the expected timeliness with which you will respond to email, voice mail, IM, etc.?
- How will team mates know you've temporarily stepped out and are not immediately available?
Plan for Saving Space
Please make a plan for how your participation can result in space savings. While your initial participation may not result in immediate space savings, it is expected you will be prepared to make adjustments as opportunities arise to save space.
Some examples of ways to save space are:
- Office compression with occupants teleworking on different days.
- Hot desking, i.e., sharing the same desk with someone else who teleworks on different days.
- Hoteling, i.e., giving up your permanent office space and using temporary desk space when on-site at STScI.
Your plan should include:
- The days each week you anticipate teleworking,
- How you would like to save space, i.e., by one of the methods above,
- Anyone you may have in mind with whom to participate,
- The date you plan to start participating,
- Tthe date by which you anticipate to have realized any space savings (if known).
To start teleworking as a participant in the FWI:
- Complete a telework agreement form with signed approval from your manager and submit it to your division administrator. (The telework agreement form may be obtained at Telework Agreement Form)
- Ask your manager to email their approval for your participation to Jesse Doggett (email@example.com) acknowledging you have discussed and documented their expectations.
- Send your plan for saving space to Jesse Doggett (firstname.lastname@example.org).
When approval has been received from your manager, ITSD will contact you to assess your technology needs (hardware and software). Note, that if your participation does not work out for you, it will be determined if any equipment should to be returned to the Institute.