This site is to support the instrument teams as well as SMO, APT, and SSB in the firstname.lastname@example.org workspace on footprints.
The goals of the STScI Help Desk are strongly tied with those of the institute as a whole:
"We are dedicated to excellence in all our endeavors especially in our service to the community."
- Principles for the Space Telescope Science Institute
"Our mission is to enable excellence in astronomical research by optimizing the science from state-of-the-art observational instruments in space."
- A Strategic Plan for STScI
We ask you to take this responsibility to users seriously and to respond to users professionally.
GOAL: First response to user within 1 business day.
To Do Checklist
- Your team is on duty from 9am - 5pm M-F.
- Look at PI info (Name, Institution, Proposal IDs, under 'User Information'). This often gives the agent rough idea of the level of the user and the appropriate response.
- Assign to yourself and set to 'Needs Attention.'
- Email the user within 1-2 days. If you need to first confer with an expert, tell the user that you are soliciting input from an expert and will get back to them as soon as possible.
- Categorize the call.
- Remember to check the Send Email To User box or click Send to User button when you send a reply.
Three Footprints Workspaces
- Help: science data and software support.
- Support: computer support.
- Archive: data access and HLA.
Procedure for getting new team members into Footprints and to the Team Help Desk
- Get new members to log into Footprints with their user name an AD password (They need to do this once before being put into Team Help Desks).
- Ask Valerie Ausherman to create for them Agent accounts in the Help workspace.
- Ask Brian York or Michael A. Wolfe to add them to the appropriate team.
Have a question?
Have an idea?
If you think something would be useful for the group and want to see it here, email it to the Triage Help Desk Lead, Michael A. Wolfe.