The goals of the STScI Help Desk are strongly tied with those of the institute as a whole:
"We are dedicated to excellence in all our endeavors especially in our service to the community."
- Principles for the Space Telescope Science Institute
"Our mission is to enable excellence in astronomical research by optimizing the science from state-of-the-art observational instruments in space."
- A Strategic Plan for STScI
We ask you to take this responsibility to users seriously and to respond to users professionally.
GOAL: Route call to teams within 2-3 hours. Respond to non-team specific calls within 1 business day.
To Do Checklist
- Your shift is from 9am - 5pm M-F.
- Notify your backup or the STScI Help Desk Lead if you will be away from your email for more than 3 hours
- Use the autogenerated report to determine which calls to carry over from last week
- Check the quarantine summary each morning.
- Check the phone messages once per day.
- Periodically check Footprints for any open 'Requests'. (Please don't rely completely on the email alert system.)
- Enter any missing fields such as PI First and Last Name & email address (if someone other than the user sent the call).
- If the call spans multiple teams, add both teams as assignees.
- If the call spans multiple workspaces, assign to the team in the help workspace and dynamically link to the other workspace.
- If the call belongs in a different workspace, move the call to the other workspace.
- Remember to check the Send Email To User box or click Send to User button when you send a reply.
Have a question?
Have an idea?
If you think something would be useful for the group and want to see it here, email it to the STScI Help Desk Deputy, Rachel Anderson.