Awards are made on the basis of a review of the applicant's research proposal as well as the curriculum vitae, list of publications, summary of previous and current research, and three letters of reference. The details of the application are described fully below.
The deadline for application is THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 6, 2014. Application materials received by this date will receive full consideration. All application materials must be submitted via the Giacconi Fellowship Application form to STScI. Incomplete applications and/or applications received after November 6, 2014, will not be considered.
Materials To Be Uploaded by the Applicant
The following materials are required:
- A curriculum vitae;
- A list of publications;
- A summary of previous and current research (limited to three pages total, including references);
- A copy of the research proposal, described below (limited to 3 pages text plus 2 pages references/figures).
Please produce these documents as PDF files with (at least) 11-point fonts, single spaced, and number all pages. Also, please ensure that your materials will print successfully onto 8.5x11 inch (21.6x28 cm) paper without loss (i.e., with 1-inch margins on all sides).
Each applicant must formulate a specific research program that is related to or motivated by current problems in astronomy and astrophysics.
The research proposal should be no more than five pages long, including text, figures, and references. Proposal reviewers may ignore any pages in excess of the stated limits.
Letters of Reference
Applicants must arrange for letters of reference to be submitted by the three individuals familiar with their scientific abilities and who are listed on the fellowship application form. Instructions will be sent to these individuals using the e-mail addresses supplied by each applicant. There is no assurance that letters received after Thursday, November 13, 2014, will be made available to the review panel.
For Further Information
Requests for additional information on application procedures and supporting documents may be e-mailed to gfinquiry.
- You must have received (or expect to receive) your Ph.D. before the commencement of the Fellowship.
- Completed Application Form, including list of three referees.
- Upload curriculum vitae;
- Upload list of publications;
- Upload summary of previous and current research (limited to 3 pages total, including references);
- Upload research proposal (limited to 5 pages including figures and references);
- All materials above must be uploaded as electronic PDF files. There will be an opportunity to update your submission.
- All pages should be numbered.
- Deadline for receipt of applications is November 6, 2014.
- We recommend that you remind your referees to upload their letters by November 13, 2014, and that you contact them again shortly before the deadline to confirm that the letters have been sent. Late letters will generally receive little or no attention from the reviewers. You will receive an email when a reference letter has been uploaded to your application folder.
- Please use the email address below for all questions and correspondence.
- Receipt of applications will be acknowledged by e-mail shortly after they are submitted.
Giacconi Fellowship Program Contacts gfinquiry for all questions.