As the High School Research Mentor Program is contractual in nature, certain commitments are expected of all parties involved. These commitments are listed below.
For more information contact Dr. Susana Deustua, High School Research Mentor Program Coordinator, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone at 410-338-4832.
- Regular attendance.
- 4-6 hours per week during the school year.
- 40 hours per week during the Summer.
- Follow STScI rules and regulations.
- Wear appropriate work attire.
- Ensure student has transportation to and from STScI.
- Ensure student has personal injury and hospitalization insurance.
- Ensure student's regular attendance at STScI.
- Remain informed of student's progress.
- Provide regular communication with HSRMP coordinator.
- Work with HSRMP to identify and resolve any conflicts or issues that arise to ensure a positive and successful opportunity for the student.
- Allow/enable release time from school IF student presents at meeting during regularly scheduled school time.
- Regular schedule/attendance.
- Ensure appropriate supervision of HS student during scheduled absences from STScI.
- Clearly defined project designed with student interest in mind.
- Provide opportunity for co-authorship on one publication.
- Provide opportunity for student to present results, possibly at a professional meeting.
- Work with mentors on defining projects.
- Regularly meet with mentors and students.
- Provide rules of conduct, behavior, ethics, etc., to interns and mentors.
- Make sure parents/guardians and school receive regular communication/updates.
- Ensure students are adequately supervised, receive necessary training and guidance.
- Ensure appropriate and safe work environment.
- Provide appropriate resources, including computing, and office space.