1. I am not a U.S. citizen. Can I apply and come to STScI?
Both U.S. and non-U.S. citizens, as well as students at foreign and domestic universities, are welcome to apply. For non-U.S. citizens, we will assist you in obtaining a work Visa if necessary.
2. Will I be paid for this experience?
Summer students will receive a monetary stipend that is comparable to summer internships at other US astronomy institutions.
3. Do I have to pay my own way to and from Baltimore?
The Institute will pay transportation costs to and from Baltimore if you are accepted.
4. Where will students live during the program?
The Institute will secure double occupancy units within walking distance to STScI. Students will also have the option to secure housing on their own. Relocation assistance will be provided through Human Resources
5. Do you have a list of projects students will work on?
The work done by students is determined by the staff researcher who selects the student. Accepted students will be informed of their prospective supervisor and can communicate with them at that point.
6. Can I just send you my résumé and ask to be considered?
No, a full application must be submitted using the on-line system so that we get the information we need.
7. I have just heard about this program but it's past the deadline! How can I send a late application?
All application materials must be received on or before the application deadline. Reference letters have an independent deadline and may come in up to one week after the application deadline. Unfortunately, late applications will not be considered.
8. Once I have started, can I update my application? Will I receive notification that my application has been received?
When you begin the application process, you will create a profile on our application tool. The tool will then e-mail login information for you to sign in and continue completing your application. You can return to the tool to revise or update information as often as needed prior to the application deadline. You will receive an e-mail notification once your submitted application has been received.
9. Where can I find specific information on the dates of the program, the deadlines, and the stipend amount?
Specific information about the upcoming summer internship program can be found on the Current Program Page.
Still Have a Question? Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org.