The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is the science and operations center for the Hubble Space Telescope and the James Webb Space Telescope. Its world-class staff carries out investigations in astronomy & astrophysics, instrumentation, and computing, and develops and prepares public relations materials for news media, public outreach and education.
STScI supports active participation by high school and undergraduate students in science, engineering and computing projects carried out by STScI staff, as well as internships in business, graphic arts and public relations (including education and outreach). In many cases, these positions are on a volunteer or non-paid status. In some, but not all cases, funding for the student may be available through Institute programs.
We strongly encourage students attending Baltimore City and Baltimore County schools to apply.
- Provide opportunities for very motivated students to engage in real science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) projects.
- Increase student involvement from under-represented populations in STEM careers.
- Better prepare high school students for college.
- Increase STScI's involvement in the local community.
Benefits for Students
- Hands-on experience.
- Mentoring by STScI staff
- Exposure to STEM careers and role models.
- Learn to prepare and present results at a professional level.
- Have completed 9th grade.
- Be able to physically report to STScI's Baltimore location.
- Submit a complete application via firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply
- Download and fill out the Internship Request form
- Submit the completed form by email to email@example.com.
Applications are reviewed monthly. Students will be notified by email. We cannot fulfill every request, but appreciate all expressed interest.
For more information send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.