John MacKenty is Senior Scientist and HST Mission Scientist. Previously he led the STScI team for Wide Field Camera 3 and co-led the overall development of the instrument from its inception in 1998. Working at STScI since 1986, he contributed to WF/PC-1, WFPC2, and NICMOS. He was PI of the IRMOS MEMS infrared multi-object spectrometer at KPNO, a member of the initial JWST SWG, and a participant in numerous future mission and instrument studies. His current interests include the design of the Synergy Explorer mission concept for ultraviolet surveys of z~1 galaxies.
- Design of ultraviolet space missions
- Measurement of the Hubble constant
- Galaxy evolution and environments at high and medium redshifts
- Fundamental calibrations and related techniques and technologies
- Development and characterization of Ultraviolet, Visible, and Infrared Detectors
Research Topics: Instrumentation, Cosmology, Galaxy Evolution, Calibrations