Installing & Using Arroyo on Debian Linux

Compilation & Installation

This is what I needed to do in order to get Arroyo installed on my Debian Linux (sarge/testing) system.

Update July 2004: The install process of Arroyo 0.5.2 is much improved over the version as of last November. Just install the required packages:

apt-get install blas blas-dev lapack lapack-dev fftw3 fftw3-dev                 
apt-get install libcfitsio2 libcfitsio-dev                                      
apt-get install doxygen                                                         
then do a ./configure; make; make install in the arroyo-0.5.2 directory. It's that easy!

The following notes date from November 2003 and are superceded by those above. I'm keeping these here for now Just In case. These describe installing Arroyo 0.5.0 (I think).
  1. As per the documentation, I ran
    I then ran ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/arroyo to install all the files into that directory.
  2. Arroyo needs the FFTW libraries. On Debian, the package names are "fftw2" and "sfftw2" for the double and single precision versions. However, the include files in Arroyo assume that the double precision version is named "dfftw", while it's just "fftw" in Debian, so the compile will fail. I fixed this by symlinking the dfftw names to the fftw versions:
     ln -s /usr/lib/ /usr/local/lib/
    ln -s /usr/lib/ /usr/local/lib/
    ln -s /usr/include/fftw.h /usr/local/include/dfftw.h
    ln -s /usr/include/rfftw.h /usr/local/include/drfftw.h
  3. Then I ran into various problems with the Makefiles. An easy fix is that, in arroyo/AO_simulation/Makefile, several instances of deformable_mirror_verification.c needed to be changed to deformable_mirror_verification.C. (i.e. capitalizing the extension).
  4. Next there was also a problem with the Makefile in the "doc" subdirectory.  The variable htmldir is set to /usr/local/arroyo/share/arroyo/html, while html_DATA is html/index.html. When those are contactenated, the "html" is repeated twice, which it should not be. The fix is to set html_data = index.html. I made a few other changes throughout the makefile for consistency with this as well.
  5. At this point, I was able to successfully make and make install.