National Solar Observatory (9/80-8/88): Associate Astronomer of NOAO
- Group Leader, Solar-Stellar Connection
Hired/supervised two technical personnel, an observer and opt./electronic engr.
Project Scientist for Solar-Stellar Spectrograph on McMath Solar Telescope.
Supervised construction of several optical components and Si-diode detectors.
Supervised TAC evaluation of proposals and allocations of visitors, service time.
Wrote software to reduce Reticon spectra for user community.
University of Texas at Austin (9/73-8/80): Assistant Professor
- Enhanced spectrographic capabilities with NSF grant.
- Full teaching duties. Project Scientist for 2.1-m. Telecope Coude Spectrograph.
- Initiated/supervised construction of several mechanical/optical components.
- Awarded three NSF grants during 1977-80.
- Academic Supervision of Graduate Research:
- One PhD dissertation, 3 Masters theses, two second-year research projects.
University of Toledo (9/72-6/73): Assistant Professor.
- Full teaching duties. Supervised research projects for two graduate students.
University of Calif., Santa Cruz (1/71-8/72):
- Lick Observatory Postdoctoral Fellow. Completed work on 7 research projects defining
physical parameter space for Am stars using spectra from two Lick Coude instruments.
msmith at stsci
Last updated 22 October 1997