Memorial Symposium to Honor Riccardo Giacconi
National Academy of Sciences 2101 Constitution Avenue, N.W. Washington, DC 20418
The Space Telescope Science Institute, Center for Astrophysics (Harvard & Smithsonian), the Johns Hopkins University, European Southern Observatory, and Associated Universities, Inc. are organizing a Memorial Symposium to celebrate the life and work of our friend and colleague Riccardo Giacconi, whom we lost on 9 December 2018. The Symposium will cover the various phases of Riccardo’s career and achievements. It will be held in Washington, DC at the National Academy of Sciences (2101 Constitution Avenue, N.W.) on 29-30 May 2019.
Registration Fee: $260.00 USD (includes continental-style breakfast, light refreshments in the morning and afternoon, lunch and hors d’oeuvre reception)
|May 6||Registration Deadline|
|Wednesday, May 29, 2019||Symposium||8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.|
|Wednesday, May 29, 2019||Reception and Reminiscences of Riccardo||5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.|
|Thursday, May 30, 2019||Symposium||8:00 a.m. - 4:50 p.m.|
Please see the Symposium Agenda for a full breakdown of sessions.
Kathryn Flanagan (Chair)
Below are some hotels near by NAS and Foggy Bottom. They range from 3.0 to 3.5 stars. However, there are a lot of hotels in Foggy Bottom and Georgetown to choose from. There is not a special rate for the symposium.
- State Plaza Hotel (Trip Advisor rating 3.5; 3 stars Hotel) This hotel is close to the NAS (0.2 mi)
- The River Inn (Trip Advisor rating 4.5; 3.5 stars Hotel)
- One Washington Circle (Trip Advisor rating 4.5; 3 stars Hotel)
- The George Washington Inn (Trip Advisor rating 4.5; 3 stars Hotel) Also known as the Arc Hotel
- The Courtyard by Marriott at Foggy Bottom (Trip Advisor rating 4.5; 3 stars Hotel)
- The Hive (Trip Advisor rating 5; 3.5 stars Hotel; ranked number 1 in DC by Trip Advisor)
- The Melrose Georgetown Hotel (Trip Advisor rating 4.5; 4.0 stars Hotel)
The attire for the Symposium is Business Casual.
Memorial Symposium to Honor Riccardo Giacconi Materials
May 29, 2019 - May 30, 2019