Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI)
3700 San Martin Drive
Baltimore, MD 21218
STScI will host a science conference, celebrating the first full year of science with JWST. The conference will feature a broad science program, with invited overview presentations summarizing results from the major areas of research with JWST, from early galaxies, to exoplanets, and the solar system. Submissions for contributed talks and posters are welcome from any topic advanced by JWST observations. A small number of late abstracts will be accepted to encourage the discussion of late-breaking results based on recently acquired data. The meeting format will include time for informal discussions and is intended to encourage interdisciplinary interactions within the JWST Observer community.
Stream the conference on YouTube - no registration needed!
|June 20||Registration Opens|
|July 21||Abstract Submission Deadline|
|August 11||Registration Closes|
|August 18||Virtual Registration Closes|
Additional Event Information
- Hakim Atek (Institut d'Astrophysique de Paris)
- Micaela Bagley (The University of Texas at Austin)
- Olivier Berne (Institut de Recherche en Astrophysique et Planétologie)
- Dale Kocevski (Colby College)
- Elisabeth Matthews (Max Planck Institute for Astronomy in Heidelberg)
- Adam Riess (STScI/JHU)
- Tea Temim (Princeton University)
- Ian Wong (Goddard Space Flight Center)
- Taylor Hutchison (NASA GSFC)
- Marc Rafelski (Space Telescope Science Institute)
- Allison Kirkpatrick (The University of Kansas)
- Michael Boylan-Kolchin (University of Texas at Austin)
- Ryan Lau (NOIRLab)
- Olivia Jones (STFC)
- Sarah Ballard (University of Florida)
- Naomi Rowe-Gurney (NASA GSFC)
- Chris Evans (Space Telescope Science Institute/ESA)
- Jeyhan Kartaltepe, Co-Chair (Rochester Institute of Technology)
- Catherine Espaillat, Co-Chair (Boston University)
- Klaus Pontoppidan, Co-Chair (Space Telescope Science Institute)
- Els Peeters (University of Western Ontario)
The abstract submission deadline is Friday, July 21, 2023. All abstracts will be reviewed by the Science Organizing Committee.
- Please submit your abstract online for the First Year of JWST Science Conference.
- You are required to have a MyST account to login to the JWST First Year of Science Conference Portal. If you don’t already have a MyST Account, please click on the "Request a MyST Account" to create one.
- Click on Abstract Submission to submit an abstract for the conference. Required fields on the Abstract Submission form are marked with a red asterisk. You are able to include attachments if needed.
- From the JWST First Year of Science portal you will be able to see your abstract submissions under “My Abstract Submission”.
- To add comments or additional attachments simply click on the abstract you need.
- If you are entering more then one abstract you will need to complete the Abstract Submission Form again.
- From the portal, you may also use the conference registration link to register for the conference. Registration will be open on June 20, 2023.
- Submitting an abstract does not register you for the conference.
AURA affirms its commitment to ensure an environment of the highest professional and ethical standards of conduct. All employees, vendors, participants in AURA programs and activities, and visitors to its centers and facilities are covered by these standards and are expected to comply with AURA’s Standards of Workplace Conduct and to take appropriate measures to ensure that their conduct reflects our values of civility, respect and inclusiveness and that prohibited conduct does not occur.
A block of rooms has been reserved at the Sheraton Baltimore North hotel. Book your group rate for The First Year of JWST Science Conference.
The Sheraton Baltimore North Hotel
903 Dulaney Valley Road
Towson, MD 21204
Phone: (410) 321-7400
Room Rate: $101 USD per night plus taxes
Cut-Off Date: Friday, August 18, 2023
A block of rooms has been reserved at the Inn at the Colonnade Baltimore – a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel located within walking distance to STScI. Book your group rate for The First Year of JWST Science Conference
Inn at the Colonnade Baltimore – a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
4 West University Parkway
Baltimore, MD 21218
Room Rate: $159 USD per night plus taxes
Cut-Off Date: Friday, August 25, 2023
Recent changes in the state and federal policies regarding mask requirements impact our ability to require in-person participants to wear masks. While strongly recommended, attendees are no longer required to wear masks.
Although we are unable to enforce a masking policy that differs from the current guidelines set by AURA/STScI, we want to assure attendees that your well-being and safety remain our top priority. We recognize that many have made travel arrangements and decisions based on the initial policy, taking into consideration factors such as disabilities, compromised immune systems, and other personal circumstances. We want to emphasize that we respect and value the diverse needs of our community, and we want everyone to feel welcome and protected during the conference.
Although masks are not required, we strongly encourage all attendees to consider wearing masks as a means of safeguarding their own health and the well-being of their colleagues. We will have masks available at the conference registration table for your convenience, making it easier for those who choose to utilize them. By wearing a mask, you not only demonstrate your commitment to protecting yourself but also show support for those who may have concerns or underlying health conditions. We aim to foster an inclusive and supportive environment where everyone feels comfortable participating in the conference activities.