To inform all users about STScI computer account policies and to help reduce unauthorized access, no account will be established for a user until he or she signs a statement agreeing to abide by the computer security policies established by the Associate Director, Operations. Copies of this policy statement are available from the Science Software Branch, or from the computer operators (Room 126). See also Appendix B of this manual.
Some important points to remember about security:
- Don't write down or share your password with anyone for any reason.
- Change your password the first time you use a new account. You can also change your password at any time.
- Passwords must be at least 8 characters in length and should include numbers or special characters, for example, 1COKE_DOG. Passwords are not case sensitive.
- Do not use common names, words, or astronomical terms for passwords. Passwords are checked against a dictionary file and common words rejected.
- Do not store passwords in files, function keys, or command files.
- Passwords must be changed every 90 days. The system will prompt you to reset your password when it expires.
- Watch for system alerts to login failures each time you log in; if you can't account for the failures, notify the system managers.
Generated with CERN WebMaker