Target Visibility Tools
The JWST project is making available several tools to help in assessing target visibilities and sky background levels prior to entering information in APT:
- The General Target Visibility Tool (GTVT) works for both fixed and moving targets and provides information for all JWST instruments.
- The Coronagraphic Visibility Tool (CVT) provides additional information for detailed planning of MIRI and NIRCam coronagraphic observations.
- The JWST Backgrounds Tool (JBT) displays the sky background as a function of time.
These tools provide broad overview information that is not easily derived from APT, complementing APT’s detailed schedulability analysis.
Software and Documentation
The visibility tools are being distributed as part of STScI’s AstroConda python distribution package, and the background tool is available via pip. Specific details for downloading AstroConda and activating each tool within the AstroConda environment are provided in the linked support articles below:
- Overview of JWST Target Visibility Tools (JDox)
- General Target Visibility Tool (GTVT) (JDox)
- Moving Target Support in GTVT (JDox)
- Coronagraphic Visibility Tool (CVT) (JDox)
- JWST Backgrounds Tool (JBT):
- AstroConda documentation
Subscribe to the JWST Observer News Mailing List
Get the latest news delivered directly to your inbox.
For technical assistance, please contact the JWST Help Desk.
The NASA James Webb Space Telescope, developed in partnership with ESA and CSA, is operated by AURA’s Space Telescope Science Institute.