Programmatic Categories of JWST Science Observations
- General Observer (GO) Programs: Observations and archival research proposed by the community and selected by peer review.
- Guaranteed Time Observations (GTO) Programs: Observations defined by members of the instrument and telescope science teams, as well as a number of interdisciplinary scientists.
- Director's Discretionary Time (DDT): Time-critical observations that cannot be scheduled for a regular proposal cycle.
- Director’s Discretionary Early Release Science (DD-ERS) Programs: Observations to be executed within the first five months of science operations and immediately released to the community.
- Calibration Programs: Observations used to calibrate the science instruments in support of all the other science programs.
- First Image Observations: The first observations following commissioning to demonstrate the observatory's capabilities.
Cycle 2 Programs
The NASA James Webb Space Telescope, developed in partnership with ESA and CSA, is operated by AURA’s Space Telescope Science Institute.